Sunday, May 11, 2014

Frog Hollow Tavern

Last night a few of us went to the Frog Hollow Tavern located at 1282 Broad St in Downtown Augusta.  It has the reputation of being the best restaurant in Augusta, and out of all the restaurants I've been to so far, it is.  The service was great.  We walked in about 5 minutes prior to our reservation time and after being greeted were offered drinks as we waited for our table to be prepared.  Once seated, our waiter was quick to pour our water and explain to us the specials of the evening.  To start off with I ordered wild Maine mussels while one of my friends ordered asparagus bisque with blue crab.  For the main course, I ordered steak prepared medium rare with au gratin potatoes and broccoli.  My friends ordered honey rosemary duck breast and a braised lamb shank.  The steak was great and the glass of '11 Matchbook Syrah I had did a good job at pulling forward the peppery notes of the dish.  The duck was buttery and didn't have the typically gamey taste of duck.  And the lamb shank fell right off the bone.  Everybody loved their food.
For dessert I ordered a flour less chocolate cake while my friends ordered a creme brûlée and goat's milk cheesecake.  All three were divine.
My bill totaled about $50 while my friends' bills totaled around $30 each.
All in all if you want great food and are willing to indulge a little bit, you should definitely try the Frog Hollow Tavern.
Note that it's good to have reservations.  Also, the dress code is business casual, but you can find people in jeans as well as suits.  I wore jeans and a button down while my friend wore a dress and pearls.
Remember, if you're dining out, make sure it's delish!


No comments:

Post a Comment